Tuesday, January 7, 2014

My Resources.

The stuff I luuuurve:

Podcasts:
I was never an audiobook person, even though I have an hour commute to and from work each day. But when I found podcasts, well for some reason, I can listen and absorb info from podcasts.

Balanced Bites
Hysterical duo, Liz & Diane, discuss any and all information pertaining to paleo - not just food, but nutrients and lifestyle recommendations. This isn't a lecture - it's like hanging out with two friends. Two really smart, pop culture referencing friends. The nitty gritty details about paleo are best explained by these two - they put the science into terms my humanities-trained brain can understand.

The Paleo View
Stacey Toth and Sarah Ballantyne lost, like, a million lbs combined. But more important than that, they are real. Normal. Both mamas, both work, both employ practical applications of paleo. I can relate to these two - it's real life paleo, in a real world. Plus, Sarah is a fancypants scientist, so when people ask me the tough questions about paleo, I can use her awesome brain power to back me up.

Books:
I love books. It's in my genetics.

The book that started it all:
It Starts with Food, by Dallas & Melissa Hartwig
Based on the Whole 30 elimination diet, this gives a no holds barred, accessible way to understand how and why our bodies may have intolerances to certain foods. I never thought I'd become a food conspiracy theorist, but after reading this book, it encouraged me to ask questions, to trail sources, to find out why, to not accept anything blindly. It also helped me realize that my body and my composition is different from anyone else's...therefore, it needs to be treated thusly.

My paleo bible:
Practical Paleo, by Diane Sanfilippo
I actually bought two copies of this book - the e book, so I could access it anywhere; and the print book, so I could lend it out to my people. Anything and everything you've ever needed to know about paleo is in here. If you buy one paleo book, make it this one.

Cookbooks:
I collect cookbooks like some people collect souvenir spoons. And I love them all just as much.
Well Fed, by Melissa Joulwan
Nom Nom Paleo, by Michelle Tam
Eat Like a Dinosaur, by Stacey Toth
Beyond Bacon, by Stacey Toth & Matthew McCarry
Against All Grain, by Danielle Walker
Gather, by Hayley Mason & Bill Staley
Make it Paleo, by Hayley Mason & Bill Staley
The Paleo Slow Cooker, by Arsy Vartanian

Websites:
The Paleo Parents (Stacey Toth, of The Paleo View podcast)
Balanced Bites (Diane Sanfilippo, of the Balanced Bites podcast)
The Paleo Mom (Sarah Ballantyne, of The Paleo View podcast)
Chris Kresser
Mark's Daily Apple
The Food Lovers' Kitchen (Bill Staley & Hayley Mason)
NomNom Paleo
Robb Wolf
CaveGirl Eats (Liz Wolfe, of the Balanced Bites podcast)

No comments:

Post a Comment